Free Farm Ready Training
Get farm ready and start your dairy farming career with confidence.
A career in dairy is rewarding. You’ll be part of a great team, spend time outdoors working with animals, and there are many opportunities to learn and grow on the job.
DairyNZ is offering free entry-level training for career changers whose current employment may be impacted by Covid-19 and are serious about a farming career. The training is for permanent residents or citizens of New Zealand only.
Sign up for the free three-week training to learn online about life and work on a farm, then get practical and learn the basics of animal handling and vehicle safety.
On completion of the training, Farm Ready Training participants will be eligible to receive $900 of PPE gear with proof of employment (a signed contract).
Practical training locations are throughout New Zealand and based on demand.
Building an understanding of working and living on a New Zealand dairy farm (online)
Day 1 – Overview of the New Zealand dairy sector
Day 2 – What does working on a New Zealand dairy farm entail?
Day 3 – Living and working in rural New Zealand
Day 4 – Finding the right job and getting started
Day 5 – Use of technology and innovation on New Zealand dairy farms
(1.5 hours daily)
Working with cows and farm infrastructure (practical on farm, full time)
- Build a basic understanding of and gain confidence in working with animals
- Caring for and handling cows and calves to ensure their optimal condition
- Getting familiar with the milking plant and milking routines, and understanding milk quality
- Managing the health and safety of animals and people
- Understanding environmental sustainability and stewardship
Farm vehicle safety (practical on farm, full time)
- Appropriate and safe use of farm vehicles (tractor, quad, two-wheel motorbike, tractor, and light utility vehicles) on farm and around animals
- Basic maintenance of farm vehicles
- Understanding legal requirements of farm vehicle usage
Sign up now!
Take that first step toward a secure career with progression opportunities and an excellent lifestyle.
Free farm ready training – register your interest or call us direct on 0800 4 DAIRYNZ to speak with one of our careers advisers for advice and info.
Note: Training is for permanent residents or citizens of New Zealand only.